Thursday, January 10, 2019

A Little Winery Here and There

I have been visiting Niagara Falls every year for the last thirteen years. My husband grew up here so we came back annually to visit his family. In all the years I have visited the area, I had never ventured to the wineries.

This past fall, after we had moved here, my parents came up for a visit. We were on our way back from Wilson, a small village on Lake Ontario about thirty minutes from Niagara Falls, when we drove past a winery. It was right after lunch, my kids were still in school, and I had nothing to lose. On a whim, I pulled into the vacant lot. I imagine the winery gets very busy during peak times, but that day, we were the only ones there.

We sampled four wines for five dollars, let me repeat, five dollars! Then we bought a glass of our favorite sampling and took it outside to sit at a picnic table and enjoy the view of the vineyard. The rolling hills and rural setting is so different than the scenery in Niagara Falls. I could have sat there all day sampling wine. They have wine tours that take you to all the wineries in the Niagara area. But if you are like me and like to do things on a whim, just stopping into one is also great.

Here are a couple of shots of my parents and me.




We visited Long Cliff Winery. There are lots to choose from but that just happens to be the one we drove past that day. They let us walk all around outside and into the vineyard. The staff was very nice and knowledgeable and told us all about the wines we were sampling.

It was a great impulse day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nothing Will Eat You Here

We were driving home from dinner in Lewiston one night when my husband decided to take a different route home. We drove past Bond Lake and o...