Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Gorge and The Goat

I'm not going to share posts about the actual waterfall, because everyone, whether you have visited Niagara Falls or not, knows what the falls look like. I'd rather write about some of the areas that visitors might not be familiar with.

The first time a friend took me to hike the gorge I was blown away. There are beautiful, winding scenic paths all along the Niagara River that make for great walking and hiking trails. They are so great in fact, that I took my parents when they came to visit and they were also blown away. If you're more adventurous you can hike down a narrow staircase to get closer to the river but we stayed up high. I plan to get more adventurous this spring.

Spending a day just walking along the gorge is rejuvenating and you get some great exercise. There is something about being near water that makes me feel alive. Not to mention on your way there you can drive through the Deveaux neighborhood and look at all the old, historic homes, which is worth a trip itself.  I'm going to do a separate post on the historic homes in downtown Niagara Falls later.

But back to the gorge. The State Parks all along the river have lots of parking and every time I'm there the lots seem empty making it super easy to find a spot. There are also bathrooms near each parking location. I recommend parking by Devils Hole and walking along the gorge towards the whirlpool.  The path opens up often to views up and down the river and these openings would make great spots for photography. I went in the summer months and in the fall and it's equally beautiful. Next up, I'm going to bundle up and try it on a snowy day. I'll post pics when that happens.

I'd love to pack a picnic and sit along the river on a nice day. I found several spots on Goat Island where I wanted to sit for hours and take it all in. I have no idea if this is possible but I could just imagine myself with a blanket, a cheese plate and a bottle of wine. The only noise you hear is that of the water and wind.

This is my mom and me walking along the gorge near Devil's Hole State Park.


And this is my husband and two boys walking along a path on Goat Island.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nothing Will Eat You Here

We were driving home from dinner in Lewiston one night when my husband decided to take a different route home. We drove past Bond Lake and o...