Thursday, January 10, 2019

Moving Up North

When I told my friends and family we were leaving Charleston, SC and moving to the Niagara Falls area, the reaction was the same, "why?" It wasn't just what they asked, because the question alone would most certainly be asked by anyone but it was how they asked it. There were gasps and stunned faces and wrinkled foreheads. It was as if I had told them I was moving to Mars and never coming back. My husband and I would sigh and repeat ourselves, "Yes, yes, we are moving up North." And then without pause, we heard this, "but you're going in the wrong direction!" Even the PODS moving guy I first spoke with on the phone when looking for quotes said that to me. Did you know it is cheaper to move North than to move South because everyone is going South? Apparently they need PODS to also go in the other direction. Well, I've always marched to the beat of my own drum so moving in the wrong direction made sense to me.

I grew up in the South so moving to New York was a little scary, I must admit. I'm not going to lie. Cold winters, no warm ocean breezes, are the people as friendly? Do I know how to drive on ice? Does it really snow in April? But my husband grew up in Niagara Falls and I knew he would help us navigate snowy winters, and help me find southern BBQ and chicken biscuits when I was having a withdrawal. Turns out, I'm doing fine so far.  I just needed a heavy coat, some good boots and a snow brush.

We have lived in the area for six months and I love it. It's beautiful and there is so much to see and do. As 2019 kicks off, I've decided to share how lovely it is here in hopes that no one will ever have that "why" reaction again.

And guess what? The people are friendly, the food is good, there are wineries and parks and history! And I am going to share it all with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nothing Will Eat You Here

We were driving home from dinner in Lewiston one night when my husband decided to take a different route home. We drove past Bond Lake and o...